Grijalva Hosting Forum on Thursday to Address Climate Change Impacts on Oceans and Coasts
Washington, D.C. – House Natural Resources Committee Ranking Member Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.) will host a group of distinguished scientists at a forum in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, July 13, on the damaging impacts climate change has had on our oceans and coasts around the United States. Science clearly shows that increasing temperatures, corrosive waters, and sea level rise pose growing threats to fisheries, biological diversity, and coastal communities and infrastructure. The event is open to media and the public.
The forum, titled The New Sea Around Us: Assessing the Impacts of Climate Change on our Oceans and Coasts, will feature a panel of experts from across the country who can answer questions on the latest science, provide tangible examples of climate change impacts, and discuss the future of ocean resources.
Democrats sent three separate letters to Republican leaders last Congress urging them to hold hearings to address the devastating impacts of rising sea levels, the impacts of climate change on fish stocks, and the threat of ocean acidification to marine life, coastal communities and the national economy. House Republicans have repeatedly ignored Democratic requests to acknowledge the dangerous impacts climate change has on our oceans and coasts.
What: A forum examining the impacts of climate change on our oceans and coasts
When: Thursday, July 13th from 1:30-2:30 p.m. EST
Where: U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, HVC-215 or tune in for the livestream at http://dems.gov/live
- Margaret Pilaro Barrette, Executive Director, Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association
- Dr. John Bruno, Professor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Dr. Keryn Gedan, Assistant Professor, George Washington University
- Dr. Tessa Hill, Professor, University of California at Davis
Members of Congress:
- Congressman Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Ranking Member of the House Natural Resources Committee
- Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Ranking Member on the Fisheries, Water, and Wildlife Subcommittee, Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works and Co-Chair of the Senate Oceans Caucus
- Congressman Jared Huffman (D-Calif.), Vice Ranking Member of the House Natural Resources Committee and Ranking Member of the Water, Power and Oceans Subcommittee
- Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici (D-Ore.), Ranking Member on the Environment Subcommittee, House Committee on Science, Space & Technology and Co-Chair of the House Oceans Caucus
- Congressman Charlie Crist (D-Fla.)
(202) 225-6065 or (202) 306-1333
Next Article Previous Article