NRDems Forum: Environmental Justice Virtual Round Table on Community Impacts from the Coronavirus Health & Economic Crises
Chair Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.) and Reps. A. Donald McEachin (D-Va.), Deb Haaland (D-N.M.) and Alan Lowenthal (D-Calif.) are holding a livestreamed roundtable discussion this Tuesday, April 28, at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time on how the coronavirus has exacerbated longstanding environmental and economic inequalities in American society and how Congress should respond.
While the COVID-19 pandemic has been devastating to many communities across the country, environmental justice communities have been particularly hard-hit. A widely noted study, published earlier this month, has highlighted the connection between air pollution and higher Coronavirus mortality rates by using data from the counties that have accounted for 90 percent of all U.S. Coronavirus deaths. As such, this virtual roundtable will focus on the nexus between increased public health risks from environmental injustice, disparities in the resources available to combat the COVID-19 pandemic in and around environmental justice communities, and the ongoing efforts in Congress to address these concerns.
Title: Environmental Justice Community Impacts From the Coronavirus Health and Economic Crises
When: 1:00 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, April 28
Watch Live: https://bit.ly/2ztH4Fn (Facebook) or https://youtu.be/Ws2BjA6JG-c (YouTube)
- Chair Grijalva
- Rep. McEachin
- Rep. Haaland
- Rep. Lowenthal
- Reverend F. Wayne Henley Cedar Grove Baptist Church, Charles City, Va.
- Dr. Francesca Dominici Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Michele Roberts Environmental Justice Health Alliance for Chemical Policy Reform
- Matt Bruenig People’s Policy Project
- Sylvia Betancourt Long Beach Alliance for Children With Asthma
- Dr. Cecilia Martinez Center for Earth , Energy & Democracy