Legislative: Hybrid SCIP Legislative Hearing – September 14, 2022
On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 1:00 p.m. ET, in room 1324 Longworth House Office Building and via Cisco WebEx, the Subcommittee for Indigenous Peoples of the United States (SCIP) will hold a hybrid legislative hearing on the following bills:
- H.R. 6032 (Rep. Jared Huffman, D-CA), To take certain Federal lands located in Siskiyou County, California, and Humboldt County, California, into trust for the benefit of the Karuk Tribe, and for other purposes. Katimiîn and Ameekyáaraam Sacred Lands Act.
- H.R. 6964 (Rep. Marilyn Strickland, D-WA), To authorize leases of up to 99 years for lands held in trust for the Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation.
- H.R. 7581 [Discussion Draft ANS to H.R. 7581 - attached] (Rep. Jared Huffman, D-CA), To recognize tribal cooperation in the environmental review of proposed actions affecting the revised Yurok Reservation, and for other purposes. Yurok Lands Act of 2022.
- H.R. 8115 (Rep. Doug LaMalfa, R-CA), To amend the Recreation and Public Purposes Act to authorize sales and leases of certain Federal land to federally recognized Indian Tribes, and for other purposes. Recreation and Public Purposes Tribal Parity Act.
- H.R. 8286 (Rep. Derek Kilmer, D-WA), To take certain Federal land in the State of Washington into trust for the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 8380 (Rep. Jesús G. “Chuy” García, D-IL), To provide for the settlement of claims relating to the Shab-eh-nay Band Reservation in Illinois, and for other purposes. Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation Shab-eh-nay Band Reservation Settlement Act of 2022.
- H.R. 8387 (Rep. Dan Newhouse, R-WA), To amend the Indian Law Enforcement Reform Act to provide for advancements in public safety services to Indian communities, and for other purposes. Parity for Tribal Law Enforcement Act.
This hearing will be streamed on YouTube. For hearing materials and schedules, please visit U.S. House of Representatives, Committee Repository at http://docs.house.gov/.
Rep. Jesus G. “Chuy” Garcia
Illinois, 4th District
Rep. Derek Kilmer
Washington, 6th District
Rep. Jared Huffman
California, 2nd District
Rep. Marilyn Strickland
Washington, 10th District
Rep. Dan Newhouse
Washington, 4th District
Hon. Wizipan Garriott (testimony)
Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs
U.S. Department of the Interior
Hon. Harry Pickernell, Sr. (H.R. 6964) (testimony)
Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation