MEDIA ADVISORY: Field Hearing in Morro Bay, California on Offshore Wind Opportunities in the Pacific
Washington, D.C. - The Energy and Mineral Resources Subcommittee, led by Chair Alan Lowenthal (D-Calif.), will hold a field hearing on Thursday, Sept. 8, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time at the Morro Bay Community Center in Morro Bay, California, titled Power in the Pacific: Unlocking Offshore Wind Energy for the American West.
WATCH LIVE: https://youtu.be/mJwWAj22_eI
Following dedicated efforts of the Biden administration and the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) to promote offshore wind leasing off the Atlantic coast, the administration is now taking significant steps to launch the next generation of wind energy in the Pacific. With BOEM expected to announce the first offshore wind lease sale in the Pacific soon, the hearing will give stakeholders an opportunity to provide input on the lease sale and discuss emerging opportunities and challenges for the growing industry. This first lease sale will set the tone for future offshore wind development in the Pacific, making stakeholder input particularly salient.
Hearing Title: Power in the Pacific: Unlocking Offshore Wind Energy for the American West
When: Thursday, Sept. 8, at 10:00 a.m. PT
- Mr. Doug Boren, Pacific Regional Director, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, U.S. Department of the Interior
- Mr. Ronald Tickle, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Real Property, U.S. Department of Defense
- Ms. Kourtney Vaccaro, Lead Commissioner for Offshore Wind, California Energy Commission
- Ms. Dawn Ortiz-Legg, Supervisor, District 3, San Luis Obispo County
- Ms. Violet Sage, Chairwoman, Northern Chumash Tribal Council
- Mr. Jordan Cunningham, Assemblyman, 35th District, State of California
- Mr. Matthew Arms, Director of Environmental Planning, Port of Long Beach
- Mr. Josh Boswell, Vice President, Policy and Economic Development, REACH Central Coast
- Mr. Jeremiah O’Brien, Vice President, Morro Bay Commercial Fisherman’s Organization
- Ms. Debbie Arnold, Supervisor, District 5, San Luis Obispo County
- Mr. Adam Stern, Executive Director, Offshore Wind California
- Mr. Mark Simonin, Business Manager, IBEW Local 639
- Mr. Eddie Ahn, Executive Director, Brightline Defense
- Mr. Aaron Bergh, Founder of Calwise Spirits Co. and President of the Distillers of San Luis Obispo County
Following the hearing, Chair Lowenthal will be joined by Rep. Salud Carbajal (D-Calif.) and others for a tour of the Vistra Energy Corp battery project site, colloquially known as the “Stacks.” During the tour, the members will learn about shore-side energy infrastructure related to the future offshore wind development. The tour is not open to press.
Media Contact: Lindsay Gressard
202-225-6065 | cell: 202-740-4715
Next Article Previous Article