MEDIA ADVISORY: Chair Grijalva to Hold Press Conference on Environmental Justice For All Act in Southeastern Louisiana
Washington, D.C. – On Saturday, June 18, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. Central in Edgard, Louisiana, House Natural Resources Committee Chair Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.) will hold an in-person press conference, hosted by community organization The Descendants Project, and joined by Rep. Troy A. Carter, Sr. (D-La.), to hear from community leaders about environmental justice issues in southeastern Louisiana. The press conference will highlight the Environmental Justice For All Act, the most comprehensive federal environmental justice legislation to date, led by Chair Grijalva and Rep. A. Donald McEachin (D-Va.) in the House.
After the press conference, Chair Grijalva will join community leaders for a bus tour of various sites in southeastern Louisiana. The bus tour will provide a firsthand look at ongoing environmental injustices in the area, community leaders’ efforts to address those injustices, and opportunities for federal policy and legislation. The following day, June 19, Chair Grijalva will join the Descendants Project and other community members for a Land Blessing Ceremony and Juneteenth celebration.
Chair Grijalva’s two-day visit to southeastern Louisiana is part of his community input tour for the Environmental Justice For All Act. The legislation was originally drafted and continues to be shaped by a historic years-long, community-led process. Previous stops on the tour include a visit to New York City with Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and a visit to the Detroit area with Reps. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.).
Media planning to attend the press conference should RSVP to Lindsay.Gressard@mail.house.gov. Media may also request to join the community site visit bus tour, as capacity allows. Anyone participating on the bus tour must be tested for COVID-19 (rapid tests will be provided).
Press Conference on the Environmental Justice For All Act
Whitney Plantation, 5099 Highway 18, Edgard, Louisiana 70049
The press conference will also be livestreamed here: https://fb.me/e/6spCnyebd
Saturday, June 18, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. CDT
Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva
3rd District of Arizona
Chair, U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources
Rep. Troy A. Carter, Sr.
2nd District of Louisiana
Founder and Director
The Descendants Project
Louisiana Bucket Brigade
General Russel Honoré
LTG U.S. Army Retired
Leader of the GreenARMY
Dr. Kimberly Terrell
Director of Community Engagement and Staff Scientist
Tulane Environmental Law Clinic
Other speakers and attendees to be announced
The full agenda for Chair Grijalva’s two-day visit to the New Orleans includes:
Saturday, June 18, 2022
- 9:00 a.m. CDT: Welcoming Ceremony and Press Conference on the Environmental Justice For All Act at Whitney Plantation in St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana
- 10:00 a.m. CDT: Site Visit of Whitney Plantation in St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana
- 11:15 a.m. CDT: Bus Tour Stop – Denka Plant in St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana
- 12:00 p.m. CDT: Bus Tour Stop – Nucor Plant and ADM Grain Elevator in St. James Parish, Louisiana
- 2:00 p.m. CDT: Bus Tour Stop – Proposed Grain Terminal Site in St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana
- 3:00 p.m. CDT: Bus Tour Stop – Willow Grove Cemetery in St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana
- 3:45 p.m. CDT: Bus Tour Stop – Lac Des Allemands and Pleasure Bend Community in St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana
Sunday, June 19, 2022
- 11:00 a.m. CDT: Land Blessing Ceremony and Juneteenth Celebration in Wallace, Louisiana
(202) 225-6065 or (202) 740-4715 mobile
Next Article Previous Article